Childcare Level 3
What will I be doing?
With three different career pathways to choose from, Childcare Level 3 will ensure the perfect route for your own personal development in childcare. Irrespective of which pathway you choose, you will be working with children and young people, be it at a nursery, a residential setting, or in a refuge.
The qualification will provide a more in depth experience of the childcare industry, developing on all that you’ve learned in the level 2 apprenticeship.
The three pathways are:
- Early Years Educator: this framework will help you to understand the development of children in their early years, and will include duties such as developing learning plans for children in their younger years, as well as supporting their learning with outdoor play.
- Children’s Social Care: your duties will include understanding how to safeguard the well-being of children, promoting the resilience and welfare of young people, and providing social support and communication.
- Residential Childcare: in this pathway you will provide food, shelter, and a place to play and learn to help children develop and grow. You will also be helping children to achieve their learning potential, and support those who have experienced harm or abuse.
What qualifications will I get?
Childcare Level 3 has a choice of 3 pathways for you to choose between. If you require assistance in choosing a pathway, then don’t hesitate to get in touch with us.
- Pathway 1: Early Years Educator
Level 3 Diploma for the Early Years Workforce, and if required, Level 2 Functional Skills in maths, English, and ICT.
- Pathway 2: Children’s Social Care
Level 3 Diploma in Children & Young People’s Workforce, and if required, Level 2 Functional Skills in maths, English, and ICT.
- Pathway 3: Residential Childcare
Level 3 Diploma for Residential Childcare, and if required, Level 2 Functional Skills in maths, English, and ICT.
What are the entry requirements?
As these apprenticeships involve working with children and young people, you will need to undergo an enhanced CRB check for all pathways. Those that have previously completed childcare level 2 will be of a distinct advantage going into the level 3 apprenticeship.
What can I do afterwards?
After completing this qualification, you will be qualified for roles such as nursery nurse, childminder, a SureStart worker, child care centre manager, or a preschool advisor.
The pathway you decide to follow will influence the job opportunities best suited to you, but ultimately you will be more confident, experienced and knowledgeable in a role working with children and young people.
If you wish to continue learning or perhaps want to manage your own nursery or childcare setting, you could look into a Level 4 apprenticeship in Management.
I think this is a very rewarding job, especially in the baby unit where some of the children have taken their first steps with us. Some parents don't get to see that, but I do.My tutors have also been really good, really supportive. Someone's always there.I'd now love to be a childcare manager, or one day own my own nursery.
–Kyra Wightman, ex-trainee, now Childcare level 2 apprentice.